Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Center for Teaching (CFT) was established in 1987 within the Connecticut Community College system as a vehicle to promote teaching excellence through the sharing of ideas, the interaction of faculty members on each campus, and the creation of coordinated professional development opportunities related to pedagogy. The Center for Teaching offers annual system conferences and programs focused on specific themes, local programs addressing individual college needs, and intensive teaching workshops stressing active learning pedagogy. All of these programs reflect a desire for inter-college collaboration and a need for shared resources, both creative and financial.
Chris Rempfer and Nikki McGary, Center for Teaching Committee Chairs
Chris Rempfer, Center for Teaching Co-chair
203-575-8245, or email CRempfer@nv.edu
Nikki McGary, Center for Teaching Co-chair
203-596-2103, or email NMcgary@nv.edu
Summer 2020 Drop In Hours with Ruth…
Are you currently teaching and/or preparing to teach online?
Join me! I will be offering CFT drop in hours this summer to help faculty with questions about teaching and learning online. While the sessions are open to your particular needs, here are just some of the questions we can explore together:
- Teams or Webex? In what ways can we use them for teaching and interacting with students? You can explore them and you can then decide which one best meets your needs.
- Are you trialing a lesson or technique? I can be your sounding board and provide confidential feedback as you try new things (individual sessions by appointment are great for this).
- I would like to hold office hours with a student privately online – Is it possible? YES! I can show you.
- I have a student that is reaching out to me by phone, and is having difficulty signing in online to meet me virtually. Is it possible to call the student without sharing my personal number? YES! I can show you.
- Do you want to build confidence with online tools and you need someone to practice with? Practice with me!
- I might not have all the answers, but I can help find them, or find resources to help answer your question.
Drop-in hours occur weekly. I am here to help!
email Ruth at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Join Ruth for CFT drop in hours through Webex use this link:
Thoughts about teaching, from great minds
- "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge." (Albert Einstein)
- "Getting people to think about what they think, and asking them questions about it, is the best way I know how to teach." (Eleanor Duckworth)
- "Stop packing your bags. We still have 15 seconds left of class." (Anonymous)